Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Weekend Warrior Race Report

Well, the race didn't go quite as well as I had hoped, but I did finish! Five days before the race, I woke up with a sore throat and some congestion. I didn't feel well at all and ended up changing my training days that week from Monday and Wednesday to Tuesday and Thursday and rested as much as possible. It didn't really help too much. My sore throat went away, but I still had a lot of sinus pressure and either a stuffy or runny nose throughout the week. My training runs weren't too bad, but were only 30 minutes long.

So, on Saturday, I got up and got ready for the race. My husband drove me to the race and we walked to the starting line and then to the finish so we knew where we would be meeting up. He took a few pictures and then quickly went back to the truck so he could get out before the races started.


I went to the start line and waited at the flag for my pace group. And waited. There were three different start times based on which race you were running. The marathoners must have started a little late, which caused us to start late. But finally, we were off. The group I was running with included 12k, 10 Mile, Half Marathon, and 25k. I thought the race started out pretty good for me. We were running into the wind for the first 4 miles and then headed south. After about 6 miles or so, I was really starting to feel it and could tell that I wasn't at 100%. My nose was constantly running, and I was repeatedly blowing it so that I could breathe a little easier. So, I made it 8 miles before I started my run/walk intervals and by then, there was a lot more walking than running.  :(  My husband was tracking me through a GPS app and I saw him at Mile 10.


By then, my feet were bothering me again. I had taped the spots that I have the most issues, but my pinky toes are also bothering me on these long runs. Unfortunately, the last leg was headed right into the wind at the end, luckily it wasn't a very long leg, but I did finish! My official time was 2:45.


 

Overall, I'm so glad that I decided to do this. I'm very proud of that the fact that I did finish, although I am a little disappointed I didn't run the whole race. I've actually looked into races in the next several weeks near me so I can try again. There is one in Port Huron at the end of June that I am considering entering. This would give me another six weeks of training where I can concentrate on fully running these longer distances.

No comments: