Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Florida

Jim and I are back from our Florida vacation and had a great time!


We spent a week on Knight's Key (near Marathon) and then the last couple nights of our vacation in Key West. While on Knight's Key, we stayed in a condo right by where my husband's boss and his wife stay in their motorhome for the winter.We didn't have too much planned but luckily had great weather. Jim went fishing two of the days and I spent those days reading by the pool. Our condo was within walking distance of the Seven Mile Bridge, so I also went running and walking on Old Seven Mile Bridge. I managed to drag Jim along to the Turtle Hospital, where they rescue sea turtles. The rest of our stay was pretty much spent relaxing and spending time with friends. On the last day in Marathon, I had signed up for my first 10k at Sombrero Beach. Luckily, it was towards the end of our vacation. It took me several days to get used to running outside in warm weather after being on the treadmill all winter long. Even the day of the race, I was pretty winded and had to walk some towards the end.  :(   But, I did finish in under 73 minutes and I'm real proud of it.


After the race, we headed on down to Key West and stayed at the Crowne Plaza on Duval Street. Luckily with hotel points, because I don't think I would ever spend that much on what might have been the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in! Don't get me wrong, the hotel was really nice and the location perfect, but it was quite small! We had a great time, did some sightseeing (dragged Jim to the Hemingway House), and like the rest of our vacation, ate entirely too much! Key West was a little too touristy for us, I'm glad we went though, but we definitely plan to go back to Marathon again.

No comments: