Sunday, October 30, 2011

What's In A Name Readng Challenge Wrap-Up

My second year participating in this challenge and I really enjoyed it again. The books I read include:

Number - 5th Horseman by James Patterson
It is a wild race against time as Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer and the newest member of the Women's Murder Club, attorney Yuki Castellano, lead an investigation into a string of mysterious patient deaths--and reveal a hospital administration determined to shield its reputation at all costs.
It had been quite some time since I read one of the Womens Murder Club books and my mother-in-law lent me this book. I guess the best way to put it was it didn't bother me to read it, it was one of those easy reads, that I like to read every so often. There was a lot of action and different plots going on, but not too much character depth. I didn't really feel like I got into the book too much.

Jewelry or Gem - Diamond Ruby by Joseph Wallace

From Coney Island sideshows to the brand-new Yankee Stadium, Diamond Ruby chronicles the extraordinary life and times of a girl who rises from utter poverty to the kind of renown only the Roaring Twenties can bestow.
I am so glad I read this book, I really enjoyed it. Closely based on a true story, Ruby is a young girl who is an ace pitcher, able to keep up with the best of them. At a young age, she takes on care of her two young nieces. The story takes you on a whirlwind of her young life, including appearing in a sideshow to becoming a minor-league pitcher. I really got into this book, and had a hard time putting it down!

Size - Long Time Coming by Sandra Brown

He arrived out of the blue—a flesh-and-blood phantom from the past in a sports car as sleek and sexy as Law Kincaid himself. The world-famous astronaut was as devastatingly attractive as the first time Marnie Hibbs had laid eyes on him, seventeen years before. But she well knew the perils of falling for a ladies’ man like Law.
I listened to this book on audio, which I had just started doing during my commute to and from Ohio. This audiobook kept me occupied during my drives, but I thought it was only ok. I'm not sure if it was because it was an audiobook, but I didn't really find myself relating to the characters.

Travel or Movement - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

An epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, that takes us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the atrocities of the present.
This book had been on my TBR list for some time and I should have read it much sooner, it was so good! I really enjoyed the story and found the story of life in Afghanistan really interesting. I will definitely be looking into read other books by this author.
Evil - Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Dostoyevsky's penetrating novel of an intellectual whose moral compass goes haywire, and the detective who hunts him down for his terrible crime, is a stunning psychological portrait, a thriller and a profound meditation on guilt and retribution.
I have to admit reading this book intimidated me. I had seen that it had gotten good reviews but didn't know if I would be able to get through it. This book did take me some time to read, and I did not find it to be an easy read by any means, but I am so glad I read it. I thought that it was very good and I enjoyed the psychological aspect of it.
Life Stage - The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
Stieg Larsson's seething heroine, Lisbeth Salander, once again finds herself paired with journalist Mikael Blomkvist on the trail of a sinister criminal enterprise.
When I read the first book in this series, I really had no idea what it was about, I was pretty much reading it because it was so popular! The story line was not what I was expecting but I did find myself enjoying it, albeit somewhat disturbing. It was the same with the second book in the series. It moves along quickly and I enjoyed reading it. I was saddened to learn that the author had passed away and the three books were published posthumously.

2 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

Congrats on finishing this challenge! I'm cutting it close for this one.

Joe Wallace said...

So glad you enjoyed my Diamond Ruby! :-)