Sunday, December 6, 2009

Holiday Reading Challenge Update

I've finished reading three of the five books so far and am really enjoying this challenge! I have to admit none of these books are normally ones I would pick out for myself without the challenge, but I have really enjoyed the books so far. The first book, Matchless: A Christmas Story by Gregory Maguire, was not quite what I expected. Like his other books, the basis is from an old fairytale, in this case, Hans Christian Andersen's classic story "The Little Match Girl". I didn't realize it until I opened the book to read it but it is a very short, illustrated story. I did enjoy reading it though. The second book, The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans, is a short story of a family who becomes caretakers for an older, ailing woman just before the holidays. The main character, Rick, learns an important life lesson through it. And the third book I just finished reading was Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. It's the story of a couple that have decided to 'skip Christmas' for one year and go on vacation. Although a little predictable, it was a nice holiday read.

So, on to the two books remaining on my list. Depending on how quickly I get through them, I may add one or two more books to my list. :)

1 comment:

Jo-Jo said...

It sounds like you are doing great with this challenge. I will be looking forward to what you think of Redbird Christmas. That is one that I always thought looked great but just never got around to it. Thanks for posting my contest!